Tuesday, March 27, 2012

While My Guitar Gently Weeps



I don't understand the words to While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

I look at the floor and I see it needs sweeping.
Still my guitar gently weeps.

Weepy guitar.  So sad.  :-(
I don't understand how those lines mean something together.  Is it because he knows he's wasting time fiddling with his guitar when there's obviously chores to be done?  Is it a euphemism for something?

I posed the question to a friend of mine who tends to be a very deep thinker.  His response was, "It could be a metaphor for how the mundane responsibilities of life intrude on the speaker/singer's love for music."
Geesh!  All I know for sure is that my floor needs sweeping, but I don't sit around crying about it.  I don't like sweeping because I usually have to pick a lot of stuff up off the floor first.  But the other day I adopted the concept of "if it's on the floor, it must be garbage."  This technique worked out well for me.  I swept up everything and threw it away.  It didn't matter if it was crumbs, twist ties, the kid's valentines, toys, a sock, or a big chunk of banana, all of which, I am ashamed to say, I found under the kitchen table.  I didn't even bother asking how one looses a sock at the table without noticing.  It all went into the trash.  I also don't like sorting socks, so it was a double win for me.

Like I said, I'm not really a deep thinker.  I'm a surface dweller of the mind.  If it's not on the surface I don't really care to dig around.  I took a lot of Anthropology classes in college.  I even went on an Archaeological dig.  This is what I learned:  digging for stuff is dirty and boring.  You don't usually find anything at all, and on the rare occasion that you do, it really isn't worth all the effort.  The big finds are rare.  In contrast, I have found money on the ground countless times.  Just lying there on top of the ground waiting to be picked up!  No digging necessary!  Awesome!

Whatever you are, deep thinker, surface thinker, diligent cleaner, or neglectful slob, you can't deny that a song written by a Beatle, sung by India Arie, and featuring the stylings of Yo-Yo Ma and Santana is a beautiful thing.

No comments: